8 Easy Steps To Get Rid Of Negativity
Steps To Get Rid Of Negativity
Emotional wellness is extremely important when it comes to leading a happy life. With negativity choking our throats, we need to find a way out to get rid of it. Here is an easy way to ensure your daily emotional wellness – engaging your senses! Yes, by being more aware of your surroundings, you can actually get rid of negativity!
Engaging your senses is a great way of making you feel calmer and more settled. It can be done by simply noticing and experiencing things the way they are, without the need of reacting or judging them. This works really well if you have a difficult time sitting still or watching your breath. Bringing your focus to body sensations and senses can be a great way to distract yourself from fears, worries and negative self-talk. It helps in distancing you from anxious and repetitive thoughts.
1) Be curious to know about each of your sensory experience. Use observational adjectives while observing them such as a color, size (large/small), type (hard/soft), temperature (hot/cold), taste (sweet/sour), texture (shiny/matte, rough/smooth, wet/dry), volume (loud/quiet) or weight (light/heavy)
2) Avoid using judgmental words such as pretty or ugly, good or bad, normal or weird, stupid, smelly, scary, annoying or gross.
3) Try to make a note of your tendency to label your life experiences as good and bad or with like or dislike. Just let the judgments go and bring back your attention to your senses.
4) Keep your focus and awareness on your surroundings. It should be done wherever you go!
5) Look what is around you and make note of it. Simply observe the various hues, shapes and textures all over.
6) Next focus your mind on sound. While listening, simply notice what you hear. Start listening to the quietest sound you can and also be aware of the loudest.
7) Move on to focusing on the sense of smell. What can you smell? Are you able to detect more than one scent?
8) Next bring your awareness to the sense of touch. Reach down and touch the floor with your fingertips. Identify the different sensations you feel.
This practice of engaging your senses can be done anywhere and at anytime. It can be done while sitting at the desk, driving your car or while waiting in a queue. Try the above and see the difference in your life. I am sure you will be able to get rid of negativity easily.